Serving Provo, Orem, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Lehi and surrounding areas in Utah County
Gum disease is an infection of the gum, the tissues that support your teeth. As the gum tissues are damaged, pockets of infection form around them, becoming larger as the infection increases. In the pockets of infection, bacteria excrete toxins, which cause inflammation. As the infection progresses, the gum tissue recedes from the teeth, which causes more infection.
- Gingivitis. This is a milder form of periodontal disease. It only affects the gums and is reversible.
- Periodontitis. This stage is a more serious periodontal disease that stems from Gingivitis and can extend into the bone.
Periodontitis is one of the main causes of tooth loss.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Systemic diseases such as diabetes
- Some types of medications such as steroids, some anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, calcium channel blockers, and oral contraceptives
- Crooked teeth
- Defective fillings
- Poor fitting Bridges/Crowns
If you experience any of these symptoms, you should visit your dentist for an examination:
- Red, swollen, tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Gums that have pulled away from teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste in your mouth
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating
- Any changes in your bite
- Any changes in the fit of your partial dentures
The treatment of gum disease depends on the type of gum disease and how far it has progressed. The primary objective is to control the infection, and the general success of the treatment will depend on the following:
- The severity of the gum disease
- The patient’s commitment to consistent oral hygiene at home
- How well the patient reduces the factors that promote gum disease
After an examination, your doctor at Young Family Dental will discuss the best options for treating your gum disease.
Young Family Dental’s highly trained
Dentists and hygeinists use advanced technology that give you the best chances for a full restoration of your dental health. Our affordable payment options will also help you get the dental care you need at a price that fits your budget.
If you are concerned about gum disease and live in Provo, Orem, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Lehi, Saratoga Springs or the surrounding areas in Utah County, please contact one of our three offices or submit your information to the right to receive a free consultation.