A tooth crown is a method for restoring a tooth that has decayed, worn down, or cracked and cannot be corrected with a tooth filling. In some instances an old filling may have expanded and contracted over time, causing it to separate from the tooth, which can cause the tooth to become damaged or weakened. The distorted filling eventually causes a small opening between itself and the tooth, which invariably results in decay. If the filling is not replaced by a tooth crown, the tooth may crack and bring on more serious problems and discomfort.
A dental bridge literally bridges the gap created by a missing tooth. Bridges are made by crowning the teeth on each side of a missing tooth/teeth and linked together with a false tooth. Bridges are a great way to replace missing teeth. Other options for replacing teeth include Dental Implants or Partial Dentures.
- All-porcelain crowns are
translucent, like your natural teeth, so they give your mouth a consistent pearly look.
- An all-porcelain crown is custom made to fit over your natural tooth. The crown is bonded to your tooth, covering it completely, restoring its strength and function.
- Porcelain tooth crowns repair and strengthen damaged teeth, and can also be used to give a new surface to discolored or misshaped teeth.
- Porcelain crowns help stop the spread of decay and correct any structural damage.
- A strategically placed crown can also improve the alignment of your bite, thereby preventing other teeth from shifting, and more evenly distributing the pressure placed upon your teeth when you bite or chew.
- Because of the inherent smoothness of porcelain and strength of the bonding process, all-porcelain crowns increase not only the strength but also the life span of the tooth.
Porcelain crown placement typically involves two visits. Your tooth is prepared and shaped, and then impressions are taken and sent to a dental lab. The lab creates a model from your impressions and crafts a porcelain crown to fit over your tooth. This crown is then bonded to your tooth.
Other than a little sensitivity for a few days, the procedure itself is relatively pain-free.
All-porcelain crowns are very strong and durable. In many instances they will outlast the biting capacity of your natural teeth, but they still require the same daily care that you give your normal teeth.
Young Family Dental has helped thousands of patients gain a healthy and beautiful smile. If you live in the Provo, Orem, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Lehi, Saratoga Springs or surrounding areas in Utah County, please call one of our three offices or submit your information in the form to the right for a free consultation.